Stepping onto a freshly mowed and lush lawn gives a great feeling and sensation. Ensuring a barefoot-worthy lawn from Spring to Winter requires special care and maintenance in every season. It’s crucial to follow seasonal lawn care schedule to maintain a healthy and green garden throughout the year.
Here’s a simple guide to seasonal lawn care and maintenance for a healthy garden:
Spring Care Tips
- Get rid of debris such as leaves, sticks, and twigs that gathered during the winter.
- If your garden was spoiled from snow blowing, tilling or shoveling, you can substitute the turfs or lay down fresh seed.
- This is also the stage to apply fertilizer and herbicides to give your grass a decent start and discourage any weed growth.
- With the arrival of Spring, you will need to mow your lawn at the earliest, so get your lawn mower ready with necessary maintenance, ahead of the spring season.
After the snow thaws, it’s time to commence with treating your lawn in the following ways:
Summer Care Tips
- When you mow the lawn, avoid trimming the grass below two inches in height because extremely short grass blades are more prone to dry out and get damaged.
- To prevent the blades from getting burned when the sun is at its prime, it’s best to water your lawn during early mornings or evenings when it’s cooler.
During summers, your lawn maintenance should focus on cutting the grass and regularly watering using these tips:
Fall Care Tips
- To boost its nutrients ahead of winter, you should repeat fertilization of your lawn. This can help your lawn remain healthy and return faster in the spring.
- Mow your grass somewhat shorter than usual, so snow does not harm it during the winter.
- Remember to clean your garden by raking leaves, eradicating debris, restoring garden lights and evacuating flower pots.
- The fall is also an excellent period to re-seed any dead zones since the absence of migratory birds prevents the new seed from being picked.
- The new soil will preserve the seed in place all across the winter to favor the seed for developing in the spring.
You can follow these fall lawn care tips in anticipation of the dormant season:
Winter Care Tips
- An essential winter lawn care tip is to clear the walkways using a shovel to prevent visitors from trampling the lawn, so grass blades remain intact.
- Prevent the buildup of snow over the lawn area after a heavy snowfall so that they don’t damage the lawn.
- Winter is also a favorable time to trim branches as the limbs are latent and so the plant will endure less damage as compared to cutting down branches during full bloom.
- Brushing snow off of the tree branches and shrubs after a heavy snowfall will prevent them from breaking.
A few essential winter lawn care tips include:
It is essential to follow through with proper lawn maintenance to retain the aesthetics and health of your lawn all through the year. Following the above guideline as per the time of year will help to resolve potential turf problems and keep your lawn appearing its best all year round.
Here’s an infographic that shows seasonal lawn care and maintenance tips for a healthy garden.
See Also: 7 Halloween Decoration Ideas to Create a Spooky Landscape